On 12 May 2016 the Minister for Local Government, Paul Toole, announced the newly formed “Gundagai Council”.
An Administrator and Interim General Manager have been appointed to oversee the implementation of the new council through to the election.
Name: Christine Ferguson
Christine Ferguson has a long history working in the primary industries sector as a producer of prime lambs, wool and cattle in New South Wales. Christine also has a long association working in natural resources management, including nine years of service with the Murrumbidgee Catchment Committee. Christine runs a farm on the banks of the Murrumbidgee at Gundagai and understands intimately the social and economic concerns of communities in Regional Australia. Having lived alongside the river for 30 years she is also acutely aware of the importance of restoring and maintaining the health of the Murray Darling Basin system.
Christine is a strong advocate for small business with a commitment to sustaining and enhancing country communities.
Owner /Partner of ‘Ben Darroch’ grazing property (Vic) 1973-1988
Owner/Director of Kimo Pastoral Company - 1978-current
Christine has a long and extensive association within the agricultural sector and has formed very strong relationships within the industry understanding first hand the difficulties facing this industry. In 2002, Christine’s family extended their agricultural business into Tasmania which included the growing of poppies for the export market and the extension of their commercial Angus beef cattle herd.
Community, Regional and National
1979 – current
• Member of the Gundagai Flood Warning Association
2004 – 2006
• Member of the NSW Envirofund Assessment Panel
• Delegate to RivREADO representative Country Summit in Tamworth, New South Wales.
1994 – 2003
Appointed to the Murrumbidgee Catchment Committee serving for nine years on numerous sub-committees:
• Chairman - Education, Marketing and Communications Committee
• Member - Murrumbidgee Nutrient Management Steering Committee
• Member - Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area and Coleambally Land and Water
Management Plan Review Committees.
• Member - Regional Assessment Panel for Natural Heritage Funding
• Member - Dryland Salinity Sub Committee
• Member - Bidgee Banks Environment Committee
• Appointed to the Sydney Airport Corporation
• Elected delegate from New South Wales to the Constitutional Convention, Old
Parliament House Canberra.
1997 – 1998
• Member Riverina Regional Economic Development Committee.
1990 – 1994
• Elected as a Councillor to the Gundagai Shire Council
• Chairman of Riverina Highlands and Council delegate to Riverina Tourism.
• Vice Chairman of Riverina Regional Library Services.
• Member of the Gundagai Achievement Corporation Board
• Chairman of the Gundagai Dog on the Tuckerbox Festival Committee
Federal Women’s President
Chairman National Party New South Wales
Federal President of the National Party of Australia
Christine knows from the experience and knowledge gained from the positions she has held, and what is needed to lead a team at the organisational level.
She has always worked to engage her community in the political process, and is passionate about Regional Australia.
• University of New England, Armidale
Bachelor of Arts
Majors in Politics and Economic History
• Simpson Maternity Pavilion
• Alfred Hospital, Melbourne
General Nursing Certificate
• Matriculation Certificate